Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ghee Is Good For You?

Hmmm, I never thought I'd be making ghee after all of the bad press about saturated fats.  It's also not something a vegan would normally eat.  I'm not a strict vegan and I eat a vegan diet for health reasons (even though I don't agree with the unethical treatment of animals used for food). 

I found a great video that shows step-by-step how to make some lovely ghee!  You can watch the video below.

Click on any of the pictures to see a larger version.
After the butter has melted, the milk solids start to sink to the bottom and some foam rises to the top.
More milk solids are starting to sink to the bottom and 
the bubbles are getting clearer.  
It's starting to smell like caramel at this point.
 Ghee after most of the foam is scraped off of the top.
 You can see the milk solids at the bottom of the pot.
Straining beautiful ghee into a jar.  It will keep for about 6 months.

After it cools, it looks like this:


See the video from 'Show Me The Curry' here:

No comments:

Post a Comment